If you have been recommended for dental implants, you may be wondering if they will ever have to be replaced. Implants give patients a permanent and comfortable solution that looks natural, and last for years, or a lifetime.
At Brenner Dental Care, dental implants are one of the most common restorative options done in our office. Once a patient has been evaluated, and we determine if they are a good candidate for implants, we go over the process so patients understand what to expect.
Before a patient begins the dental implant process, they are interested in knowing if dental implants will ever have to be replaced. Compared to other alternatives such as dentures and bridges that only last between 5-15 years, implants last upwards of 25 years, or even a lifetime.
If cared for properly dental implants can last your entire life, and are one of the most reliable tooth restoration options available. Implants have a 95% success rate, and we encourage patients use good oral hygiene to keep the implants clean and free of plaque. This will ensure the implants last and do not become infected, or unstable in the mouth.
Tips to ensure your dental implants last a lifetime:
- Use a non-abrasive gel or paste to avoid scratching the surface of your implant.
- Floss daily using implant specific floss or wax free floss to keep the area free of plaque. A Waterpik Water Flosser can also be used to assist in removing plaque.
- Use a low abrasive tooth brush such as a soft type brush.
- Anti-microbial rinses can be used to prevent infection and reduce inflammation.
- Avoid any products containing ingredients that may stain your teeth.
- Avoid products that contain stannous fluoride, sodium fluoride, or baking soda. These products can make the implants prone to corrosion.
If you take good care of your implants and practice good oral hygiene, they can last your lifetime, and will never have to be replaced. Contact Brenner Dental Care today to schedule your appointment, and see how dental implants can work for you.